Monday, March 19, 2007

Respect

About 10 years ago I had a consulting firm come into a business that I had to help me get past some growth issues. In the process of working with me, they met with each of my 35 employees and talked with them about their jobs. What they did. What they liked and didn't like about their jobs. How their jobs could be improved. How the company could be improved.

After a couple of weeks the two consultants met with me to talk about what they had found. "Before we start with the results, we'd like to talk with you about something we find quite remarkable," they said.

"OK" said I, not knowing what to think or what was coming.

"We interviewed every employee that works here. Each and every one of them told us that you treated them with respect. We've never seen a company where everyone feels they are respected."

I was somewhat surprised. I am a tough boss but I try to be fair. But the boss is the boss and there are always going to be decisions that impact negatively on someone.

I have studied many of the world's great religions. Most all of them have something that is similar to what we call The Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have people do unto you.

It's not a hard concept to understand. Sometimes it isn't always easy to do. Fear, anger, greed, lust (oops are we getting into the 7 deadly sins here?) may get in the way.

But I try to live my life by the Golden Rule. How about you?

The world would be a better place if we all tried to follow this simple philosophy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Hi Max!

Your insights into the business of music and the music business are enlightening. I've always been one of those that consider the term Music Industry an oxymoron. For too long the business has been moving away from musical ability, in favor of appearance and charisma. Millions are squandered on promoting questionable "artists" (the Simpsons, Spears, Timberlakes, Pussycat Dolls, and other posers), who score big bux for little other than how they look on a billboard or in a video. This flood of worthless dross dilutes the impact that the true musical talents that are signed. The mercenary nature of the industry was most evident in their efforts kill the emerging file sharing movement. I agree that it's not right to make mass distributions of copyrighted material, but I don't approve of draconian copy protection and legal measures. Music is about creativity and freedom and sharing. It's NOT about selling turning songs into a commodity and selling them like so many tasteless McBurgers.

What are your thoughts?

Mark

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home